Sunday, June 9, 2013

"An Unexpected Journey"

My kids love "The Hobbit" movie.  They each have read the Hobbit book multiple times in their lives.  It is safe to say we are a Hobbit family.  I have the book in paperback, hardback, leather bound, graphic novel, and comic.  Yes, I love the story.  It is truly my most favorite book of all time.

"The Hobbit" or "There and Back Again" is a book by J. R. R. Tolkein (1892-1973).  It was published in 1937 and written as a children's fantasy.  While I doubt he knew it would become the classic it is, today it is loved by millions.  It is a story about Bilbo Baggins (a Hobbit) who goes on an adventure against his wishes.  The adventure takes him to the Lonely Mountain to battle Smaug the dragon for gold and fame.  Along the way he meets trolls, goblins and many other fantastic creatures.  It is a delightful tale of a reluctant Hobbit's journey as he grows from complacent to heroic.
Cover of the first edition.

I've always loved dragons and fantasy books.  I first read "The Hobbit" in Junior High School.  (Junior High back then was what we called Middle School.)  It was my first introduction to epic fantasy and I was hooked.  While I can't tell you exactly how many times I've read "The Hobbit" but I can tell you that it had me wanting more and more fantasy.  Ever since that book I have always sought out fantasy in books, movies, games, etc.  I believe this book is what kept me reading stories in school.

I can see where this book was a pivotal point in keeping me reading.  It combined good story with my love of fantasy.  As I become a teacher and work with students I can see where finding the subject they love and encouraging them to read about the subject could just entice them to love reading.

I'm still a little apprehensive how a math teacher can integrate reading in the classroom.  But I know I have more to learn as a teacher in general so I'm still looking for ways to integrate literacy.  Other than working with other team members and just general encouragement to read... well, I'm still looking for ways.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you really address your thoughts about reading and writing in the math class, especially in the final paragraph. What would happen if you challenged your students to solve specific problems confronted in The Hobbit by using the math they've learned in your class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.R.R Tolkein's work have been my favorite to read. I have all of his books in my collection from "The Silmarillion" to "The Return of the King" and several more. I just love the world he created in his works. One of my old hobbies was to collect swords; I have Glamdring, Anduil, and the Sword of the Witch King. These books are an essential for an good Fantasy and Science Fiction book lover. As for trying to integrate literacy into your math class, its probably not as hard as it may seem.

    ReplyDelete