Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Missing Words

In 1975 I was in 3rd Grade.  Yeah, I'm an old guy.  I've never had problems with the 3 R's:  reading, writing and 'rythmatic.  There's not much I can remember from my childhood.  One thing I do remember is a favorite picture book.  I remember loving that book.  I also remember thinking it was missing those wonderful words that I was learning in school.  It was a picture book after all.  I decided to fix that and wrote a story to go along with the pictures.

It must have been good because my teacher Ms. McIver (I do remember her name) submitted it to a literary contest.  And I won although I really didn't understand what the big deal was at the time.  All I know is everyone was proud.  They wanted to display my story in the library so I copied, by hand, the pictures the best I could.  My handmade book was displayed in the library of General Green Elementary school for many years and my story was reprinted in a green book along with other winners of the contest.  I knew it was important because the book of winners was kept in my parents bedroom for years and years.

While I'm sure I didn't realize it at the time, the celebrations and pride that others had in my work must have had positive repercussions.  I probably didn't realize it (I was in 3rd grade for goodness sakes) but a very important lesson was taught to me in 1975.  Work hard, think creatively, and write creatively and good things would come.  A very valuable lesson that has carried me through life and will also be present in my classroom.  Celebrate the successes, learn from failures but definitely celebrate the successes.

You are probably wondering where that book is today.  I asked my dad to find the "green winner book" but its missing.  I tried looking for the picture book online and can't find it.  I know its a picture book and a boy blew a bubble.  Being a picture book in 1975 could mean it has gone out of print.  It makes me sad that I may never be able to see that book again.  But I still have the memory and the lesson.

4 comments:

  1. Too bad you can't find that book! What a great example of how literacy has impacted your life, and at such a young age too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great accomplishment! I love the fact that you attempted to "fix" the picture book by adding words. Was the original book "Bubble Bubble" by Mercer Mayer? In this book, the boy blows bubbles that are the shapes of animals. It was first published in 1973 in hardcover format, so the time frame is correct. I remember this book from when my children were younger, however I can't remember if the book had words or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jennifer,
      Thanks for your reply. It was definitely not the Mercer Mayer book. I know Mercer Mayer's stuff and the pictures are different. The book wasn't about bubbles, I just remember he blew one. I'm thinking he blew the bubble to escape but I don't remember what from. ...and its killing me to remember this book. : )

      Delete
  3. All I can say is that was awesome! I love the fact that you decided to fix a picture book by adding words. Picture books are nice for kids to look at because they can use their imagination to create their own stories (just as you did!). In a sense it provided a unlimited amount of ammunition for the imagination, which is a great tool for writing.

    ReplyDelete